Who could resist such an invitation? We went to see her, and fell in love. "Morgan's" eyes haunted me for days after. Ryan and I weren't sure if it was the right time to get a dog, but we took a leap of faith, purchased the things we'd need, and went to bring her home.
What a year it's been! Lots of training for everyone, including enlisting the help of Al Casimiro, the Lakeshore "Dog Whisperer" for some help with the sticky spots. I've learned more about pet ownership and responsibility in the last year than I could ever have imagined. I also found out that I was a slightly neurotic dog owner at first, as I would get up several times a night the first week, just to make sure Tara was okay. She was always fine, and gradually, I understood that she would wake me if she really needed something. Granted, she tries my patience some days, and can offer some real surprises. To date, her most naughty achievement is tied between chewing up her new bed and yakking it up onto Jenny's floor in the middle of the night or the time she ran out of the yard and down the street, refusing to "come" when called.
All in all, I would have to say the HHS staff was right. Tara is a sweetheart and she has a mind of her own that wants to be expressed! She is definitely much happier and well-adjusted than when we first brought her home. Her warm brown eyes have given unconditional love and support on more than one occasion. Watching Tara chew her toys, lick my feet, get in trouble with Molly, or bike with Ryan has given me a joy and a love for her that I didn't know was possible with a dog. Ryan and I love our girl and are so grateful for the blessing she is to our family!
No comments:
Post a Comment