Monday, April 6, 2009

Timing

Huh. I had so many great ideas for a post this weekend while I was at work, but they seemed to have escaped me. Maybe I can remember.........wait, there it wa-............gone again.

In that case, I'll just free-flow.

When I was at work this past weekend, I was in post-partum both days and had a great assignment. GASP! It does occasionally happen. This one family, in particular, really stood out in my mind. Great Christian couple, first baby.... they were so cute. And their son was a love. I got to cuddle him for awhile after his blood test, and as he snuggled into my shoulder, I thought, "This is what it's all about. Not grad school, not money, not alphabet soup after my name- I want to be a mom." I truly believe that God has put this desire in my heart for a reason. Hopefully, it will be for my own children, but I'm confident that God would give me the same intense love for an adopted child too.

The other part of this wanting-to-be-a-mom thing is timing. My stance on this is: I'm all about waiting on God and his timing. It'll happen when it happens. Contrast this to my sister-in-law, who is practically standing on her head and doing tribal dances to conceive. Now, if this is what God has called her to do, it's not my place to judge (and yet, I can't help judging anyway.) Honestly, though, I feel that she's trying too hard and putting too much pressure on both her and her husband. Her OB has told her that if she can't conceive by May, she'll need to do infertility treatments. HOLD ON!!!!! What about asking the Lord what His idea is in all this?

If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that everything happens when God says it should. I've tried to force things to happen on my own, and God has had to lovingly step in and say, "No, not yet. THIS is what I want for you." And it's always much better than anything I could have thought up. Thus, my attitude on conceiving is one of excitement, but also patience. I'd love to be a mother and I'm content to wait on God.

For anyone who knows anything about me, the fact that I'm able to say that I'm content and willing to be patient is a small miracle. While I'm waiting, I'm going to stock up on pregnancy tests and pray for my sister-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment